Improve8 is committed to collecting, handling and disclosing personal information lawfully and fairly and to taking reasonable steps to protect and safeguard personal information and your privacy.
Improve8 may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from the 1st February 2018.
This website contains links to other websites. This privacy statement does not apply to websites outside of the Improve8 domain.
Personal information is information or an opinion that is recorded in any form, whether true or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained.
The Privacy Act is the legislation that regulates our collection and handling of personal information. Detailed information about the Privacy Act is available on the Australian government website.
What we collect
We collect some information automatically when you visit the Improve8 website. This de-identified information such as the number, date and timing of visits to the website and the pages of the website visited frequently is collected for statistical purposes only. You may also choose to provide us with personal information if, for example, you subscribe to our newsletter, send us questions through e-mail, register for an event or participate in our on-line activities. We may sometimes also use automatically collected information about you in conjunction with other data we have about you, including personally identifiable information you have voluntarily provided us. The type of personal information collected may include names, date of birth, gender, marital status, addresses, contact details, job titles, account details and financial information.
This website collects personal information when you:
- provide feedback using the feedback forms
- submit an enquiry
- subscribe to a newsletter
- register for a Member account on this website
- make a booking for an event
- sign up to an event waiting list
- email an event to a friend
- submit some types of forms
- make online payments
- save personalised information packs
- use the features for registered users
- purchase or upload online products
Improve8 will only collect personal information that is necessary to promote its business, to provide its services or to conduct its activities. These activities include:
- To provide products and services to clients
- To receive products and services from service providers and contractors
- To maintain and promote relationships with clients, service providers and contractors
- To provide clients and prospective clients with information on our services and products, economic and industry developments, and seminars and events that may be of interest to them
- To recruit and maintain relationships with staff
- To complete internal administration functions (e.g. invoicing clients).
The type of personal information collected may include names, date of birth, gender, marital status, addresses, contact details including email address, job titles, demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests, account details and financial information and any other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers.
Use and disclosure of personal information
Personal information collected by the Improve8 may be passed on to other agencies as required to provide the services requested. The use and disclosure of personal information collected by Improve8 through use of this website is described below.
Other than as outlined above, Improve8 will not disclose personal information to any other third party unless Improve8 has:
- Reasonable grounds to believe that the disclosure is required by law
- Reasonable grounds to believe that the disclosure is necessary to prevent a serious and imminent threat to a person’s life, health or safety
- The consent of an individual to do so.
We require your personal information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- Booking and scheduling events.
- Selling products and services.
- We may use the information to improve our products and services.
- We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
We will also use your information in the following ways.
Subscription to newsletters can be successfully carried out by providing certain details depending on the newsletter although an email address and name is mandatory for all subscriptions.
You can unsubscribe at any time and your name and email address will be deleted from our subscription records subject to periodic reviews of the email database.
Businesses and individuals who choose to engage with Improve8 via social network channels including Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and YouTube should be aware of the following:
- Improve8 only collects information that you voluntarily provide via polls, responses, posts, comments and tweets
- This information is collected in order to understand the type of information and activity you may choose to participate in when engaging with Improve8’s social networks. The information provides us with valuable insight that allows us to offer you the most appropriate tools and resources for your business
- Your social media profile contact details may be used by Improve8 to contact you for feedback; to offer you new tools and resources to assist in developing your business; or in order to engage you in conversation. All contact will be made via the channels you choose to participate in
- Your individual privacy settings for profiles and accounts on social media networks are your responsibility. Improve8 has no control or jurisdiction over these settings
- Each social network has inbuilt privacy settings. Improve8 strongly recommends that you regularly check and configure the privacy settings for your profiles and accounts to make sure that you know what information you are making available, and to which audience. Facebook offers particularly customised privacy settings available via Account > Privacy Settings
- When you choose to join Improve8’s social networks and/or participate in any way, some of your personal information may be made visible to others. For example, if you choose to: ‘Like’ Improve8’s Facebook Page; post a comment or update; share a link; follow Improve8 on Twitter; tweet a mention or retweet an @Improve8 message; or join the Facebook Group, your activity may be made visible to others within these networks.
- Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and YouTube have channel-specific privacy policies that all users should be aware of, take into consideration and adhere to when using these channels for business, personal or private use
Any associated online payment is processed entirely by a third party. The Card Authoriser will process the credit card transactions needed to make an online payment and store data related to these transactions as per their own privacy policies. Neither Improve8 nor the Licensing Agency can access the full credit card number used to make the payment.
Workshops, Seminars and Events (Events Management System)
We will only ask for personal information we reasonably require to do business with you. We may also collect personal information via phone or through printed forms. The personal information we collect depends on how you use our system. The following are some examples of the types of personal information that we may collect from you:
- When you sign up for our events subscription service we need only your name and an email address, which we use to send the event subscription you have requested. You can unsubscribe at any time and your name and email address will be deleted from our subscription records subject to periodic reviews of the email database;
- When you book an event we need your name, business/organisation name, phone number, email address and postal address;
- When you book sign up to an event Waiting List we need your name, email address and phone number;
- When you book an event and there is a cost to attend the event, you will need to enter in your credit card details on the Card Authoriser’s secure server. See Online Payments above for full details;
- When you Email an Event to a Friend we need your name and email address and your friend’s name and email address. Information provided is not retained and will not be used for any other purpose than to notify the friend of the event.
We will use your personal details to communicate transaction records, reminders about the event, changes to the event and create name tags.
Attendance records may also be used by Improve8 to better focus services and to develop workshops and seminars programs.
Where Improve8 uses personal information to market our products and services to clients and prospective clients, recipients can contact us at any time if they no longer wish to receive this marketing information. Alternatively, individuals will be given the opportunity to ‘opt out’ from receiving marketing communications from us by clicking on an unsubscribe link at the end of the email.
While Improve8 takes reasonable precautions to protect information it holds from unauthorised use, the nature of the information systems is such that the security of information cannot be guaranteed. In particular, Improve8 relies on commercially available technologies for the security of its information systems. We advise users to follow good security practices when using Improve8 services. Basic practices recommended:
- Install security updates for all software on your computer
- Use reputable anti-virus software and keep this software up to date
- Select strong passwords and keep your passwords safe (Secure Password Guidelines)
- Ensure the website is authentic through the use of Secure Socket Layer (SSL).
Improve8 relies on the information that users provide and it is the users’ responsibility to ensure that information they submit is accurate. Users are prohibited from posing as someone else. Improve8 will deactivate accounts and delete information from its database if someone can show that someone inappropriately masqueraded as them.
Internet user risks
Improve8 does not warrant that the functions contained in the site will be uninterrupted or without error. In addition, Improve8 shall not be responsible for the propagation of computer worms, viruses or other harmful components transmitted from this site and other third-party sites.
Imporove8 recommends that you ensure that your browser is equipped with updated virus protection software.
The SSL protects the Improve8 Logon facility by encryption while the user remains on the facility. Users should be aware that links from this facility may not use encryption technology and that information transferred from the facility to an unsecured site will be passed on an unsecured link. Your browser settings should be set to alert you if you are leaving a secure site. Users seeking more information about SSL in general are referred to W3C The World Wide Web Consortium where a search on the word ‘SSL’, or browsing the Security FAQs will provide current information.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Website Usage Measurement and Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics through cookies to understand how you are using the website. Google Analytics uses “cookies” to retrieve statistics on how users use the site, social media/eUpdate channels and other services provided online by Improve8. A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site.
Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences. Google Analytics cookies do not collect personal identifiable information about your visits to the website. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the website (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google where it will help us understand and better meet our audience’s needs.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
Access to and correction of personal information
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
Please also see